Tuesday, March 22, 2011

J. Vernon McGee

Are you familiar with the Bible teaching ministry of Dr. J. Vernon McGee (Thru the Bible Radio)?  If so, what is your opinion of his teaching ministry?  I feel that I have gained a better understanding of the ways of God and a greater love for the Word of God by studying and listening to this ministry.  I just wondered what you thought of this ministry.


When it comes to the ministry of the late J. Vernon McGee, let me start off by saying that I do listen to parts of his programs each day on the local station (AM 980 KKMS) that our own bible teaching program is on (I have it playing on my computer in the background as I study), and so I have an extensive knowledge of what he believes and teaches. So because you asked my opinion of him, I have a lot of information to go by.

Secondly, the things that I will write are only about his ministry, his teachings, and not a personal evaluation on the man himself because I have never met him in person. So with all this said, here is my opinion of his ministry.

In short brother, Mr. McGee is what I would call an “Acts 2 dispensationalist.”  What that means is that he believes and teaches that the current church of today, the church, the Body of Christ began on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2, and not in Acts 9, with the salvation of our Apostle Paul, as we Acts 9 dispensationalists believe.

So although I can glean some good things from his teachings here and there (as I can from almost every other bible teacher/preacher out there), because Mr. McGee does not believe in, acknowledge, nor magnify the unique, distinct, and separate ministry and message of our Apostle Paul, I could not, in all good conscience, commend his ministry to anyone!

We are commanded by our Lord Jesus Christ to listen to and obey His commands through the Apostle Paul, and to rightly divide those instructions from all other instructions from God in the bible to the people of Israel—something that Mr. McGee does not believe nor teach. He mixes all the scripture, and does not divide the truth written to Israel, from that written to you and I today and found only in Paul's 13 letters Romans through Philemon. So my opinion of Mr. McGee's ministry is that it is not approved of God because he does not rightly divide God's Word of truth, nor does he build people up in the word of God's grace, but mixes law and grace together, thereby nullifying grace!

Romans 11:6
And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

Acts 20:32
And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.

Acts 9:15
But the Lord said unto him [Ananias], Go thy way: for he [Paul] is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:

Romans 11:13
For I [Paul] speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:

1 Corinthians 14:37
If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I [Paul] write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

2 Timothy 2:7, 15
Consider what I [Paul] say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.


Hopefully this helps...Maranatha!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++



4 comments:

  1. I used to be a follower and listener of J. Vernon McGee but no longer. I believe he takes too much liberty with the Word of God to espouse his own man-made opinions. I find some of his Bible exegeses and interpretations to be quite bizarre and far-fetched to say the least. Example: He states in his sermon on the book of John that the book of John was for written for oriental people. I don't see that notion or idea anywhere in the Bible. I am steering clear of J. Vernon McGee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol McGee has his way of saying things he does has a sense of humor and if he dose not know he tells you. who in this world know to the t of gods ways do a little more history on how the bible even came about or put together and what books where not put in the bibles you take what you get and have faith in god

      Delete
  2. I have been incredibly Blessed by the late Dr. JVMcGee's radio program and notes. Aside from the 'Acts' issue, I feel he taught the Word of God in a literal way and with plenty of background and historical support. He does sometimes make sarcastic remarks and does apply his own human views, but that's just what they are, and easily discerned. I did not have trouble discerning between his views (which he states are his personal views) and the teaching of the facts. He does not take away (in my view)from the amazing Word and from all there is to learn. He always said that we were to study it ourselves, listen to teachers, listen to the Spirit, and not just use his study--to be as rounded as possible and learn as much as we can each time we visit the Word. He also recommends lots of books written by others, not just his own publishings. I wish you all the best. May the Lord guide you each step. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife and I used to listen to him at 5:30am Monday thru Friday until he made a statement about not beleiving that people should not mix. That it should be color with color, white with white ect... My wife is black as I am but we did not feel the same. We have decided to move on fom Mr McGee.

    ReplyDelete