Tuesday, January 11, 2011

When Christ became a worm...

I still don't understand whether or not Christ suffered like an unbeliever will. What exactly does it mean, about him becoming a worm?  I have been told that he suffered--the 'man' part of him in hell and the 'God' part of him went to Abraham’s bosom. Is that true and if so can you explain it to me?



Did he suffer like an unbeliever? Yes!  But, it’s important to make note of where he suffered.  He did not suffer in hell.  Christ suffered in his soul on the cross.  Once that was done, he went to Abraham’s bosom/paradise.

John 19:30
When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

In the old testament (before the Lord died and shed his blood for mankind's sins), all believers in the old testament went into paradise, aka Abraham's bosom. This paradise/Abraham’s bosom was not in the third heaven, but in the heart of the earth! God promised the earth to Abraham and his physical seed, Israel.  Therefore all the believers (including Adam and Eve and all those believers who lived before Abraham) went to the "heart of the earth" or the place called paradise. Their souls would remain there until Messiah comes, sheds his blood for them, and then takes them into the presence of the Father. They would then get their bodies at the return of Christ to the earth when he sets up his kingdom.

But this place was also called hell in scripture! The bible definition of "hell" is simply "the place of the departed dead." It did not mean the place of torment only, as we know it to be today! All people before Christ came went there. The place was divided into two compartments called "paradise/Abraham’s bosom” and "torments."

Luke 16:19-26
There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day: And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores, And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; And in HELL he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.  And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame . But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.  And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

Notice that they all are in "hell," yet the rich man was in "torments," and Lazarus and Abraham were "comforted." They all could see and talk to each other, but they could not "pass" over to each other.

Our Lord, Himself, made reference to all this during His earthly ministry...

Matthew 12:40
For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Notice that our Lord says that he would be "in the heart of the earth" (after he dies on the cross).

Notice also that the Lord tells the thief on the cross that they would be together in "paradise"...

Luke23:43
And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Where was this "heart of the earth?" And where was this "paradise?" In "hell." Our Lord's spirit went to the Father in heaven, but his soul went to hell/paradise/Abraham's bosom, and his body into the tomb!

Luke 23:46
And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

Psalm 16:10
For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

This is a messianic psalm about where our Lord's soul went after his death.

Peter mentions it also...

Acts 2:25-27
For David speaketh concerning him [Christ], I [Messiah] foresaw the Lord [the Father] always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved: Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope: Because thou wilt not leave my [Messiah's] soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Acts 2:30-32
Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne; He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

We learn later, that sometime between the death of our Lord Jesus and our Apostle Paul's writing of 2 Corinthians. God moved "paradise" from the heart of the earth to the "third heaven."

2 Corinthians 12:2-4
I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.  And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;)  How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

So did our Lord go to "hell?" Yes. But did he go to the torments side? No!

As far as someone telling you that his "man side" of him suffering, and the "man side" of him going to hell...no, all of him did everythingHe was (and is) the God/Man: 100% God and 100% man. He could not separate himself. He needed all of himself to be our redeemer. Jehovah, the Son, died.  (Death, in the bible, means 'separated;' and he was separated from the Father and the Spirit.)

Genesis 22:7-8
And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering? And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

John 1:29-37
The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world. This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me. And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.  And John bare record, saying I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him. And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost. And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God. Again the next day after John stood, and two of his disciples; And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God! And the two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus.

Psalm 22:1
My God [the Father], my God [the Spirit], why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

1 Timothy 2:5-6
For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;  Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

Romans 8:32
He that spared not his own Son but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

Jehovah, the Son, died...it was both his "man side" and his "God side." God felt our pain!

Hebrews 9:14
How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

So you see, the entire Son of God suffered and died on the Cross, and not just his "man side.”

Hopefully this helps!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++



No comments:

Post a Comment